BazQux Reader Community

504 Gateway Time-out

The website is not loading with Nginx error

504 Gateway Time-out

4 Likes

I think servers are stuck again?

Do we have to wait till the afternoon again? till he finishes his work shift?

oh myā€¦

@vshabanov

is it so difficult to understand that this kind of service cannot run unattended?

it even amazes me that you arenā€™t even monitoring your emails, discourse site etc,
what is this? if not zero respect for your users?

maybe you should find a solution for us?

I told you before, if you canā€™t monitor it, why donā€™t you find / hire someone else to?

a brother, a cousin, an employee, there should be a solutionā€¦

Iā€™m in the IT industry as well and I just donā€™t understand your approach at allā€¦

Iā€™ve sent the above on email to him too, if someone knows any other way to contact him, please doā€¦

1 Like

Š”Š°, утрŠ¾Š¼ ŠæŠµŃ€ŠµŃŃ‚Š°Š» Š³Ń€ŃƒŠ·Šøться сŠ°Š¹Ń‚.

1 Like

Similarly
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Hope he is not on a holiday :smiley:
(Was thinking buying lifetime access, but seems bad option. I installed my own freshrss instance after last outage.)

Iā€™m in a similar situation, in the afternoon when he fixes it,
I will have over 1000 articles unread and absolutely no time to read them,
so Iā€™m setting up my feedly (which I wasnā€™t using) for times like this at least,
Iā€™ve got inoreader as well and bq lifetime, when I bought it of course there was support,
but now I wouldnā€™t advise anyone to buy it,
itā€™s definitely amazing that someone has a service and doesnā€™t even checks his emails!
I just cannot understand it!

Iā€™ve been a customer for many years now and never had problems like weā€™ve had recently. Slow performance, total outages, etc. Hopefully it can get sorted out the tool is an important part of my workflow.

3 Likes

Yeah, this is the first time in my ~10ish years of service that I can remember the site having issues, so Iā€™m not worried about it being an ongoing issue. I also run a software business myself and know that sometimes these things happen.

3 Likes

I agree, the tool is good, but the support we get is getting worse and worse,
maybe he has no time for it, he wants to focus on his new job and only,

but itā€™s not our fault, he should think of a solution or something, I donā€™t know

also @glench these things happen, yeah, but they donā€™t take so much time to get fixed usually, waiting for mr @vshabanov to finish his daily job is his right of course, but seems ridiculous to me

Well, the service costs roughly one third of inoreaderā€™s price.
Youā€™re right, these things should be fixed much sooner.
But I guess youā€™re being also pretty harsh, given the much more affordable cost.

Still, Iā€™ll think about moving off-the-cloud to something like ttrss, but Iā€™m not sure they will be as complete solutions as bazqux et al.

1 Like

he just replied to my email this

"I didnā€™t check emails this morning and now Iā€™m in the office and cant fix it until the evening.

Itā€™s those damned ā€œnewā€ servers I recently migrated too. Old ones were starting to halt once in a few months and these new ones do it every few weeks. Need to move to something more reliable

3 Likes

Iā€™ll echo what @glench said. Iā€™ve been using Bazqux Reader for many years and the two recent outages have been the only ones Iā€™ve noticed in all that time. If this starts happening all the time then Iā€™d probably jump ship, but weā€™re talking twice in 10 years.

RSS readers are a niche product and BazQux has a fairly small market share, obviously weā€™re not going to be able to have on-demand support and I think thatā€™s understandable, especially given how cheap the subscription is (under half of Inoreader).

3 Likes

Well at least we know itā€™s acknowledged and have some idea when itā€™ll be fixed. Thank you for sharing!

The service has been reliable far too long for me to be angry yet, but yes this is frustrating. I canā€™t imagine his anxiety having to go on about his day knowing itā€™s broken and thereā€™s nothing he can do right now. :grimacing:

Catchup is going to be a slog, time to get a backup up and running when I can get my opml.

1 Like

Also echoing what @glench said. Iā€™ve been a user since the beginning and the service has been superb. The two recent outages are unfortunate but I donā€™t doubt @vshabanov will look at measures to minimise/avoid any disruption going forward.

To be blunt, Iā€™m surprised to hear the service isnā€™t monitored and managed 24/7. Obviously I donā€™t expect eyes on glass for something like this, but the owner should get notifications on his phone and have the ability to reboot hosts remotely.

I run a bunch of websites myself. I donā€™t charge users anything, itā€™s all hobby stuff. My hosts are monitored via the host provider (Linode, sends an email when a host goes down), locally (via the very simple monit, which sends emails when a disk is getting full, process not running, etc) and remotely via FreshPing (which I wonā€™t link to as they arenā€™t accepting new accounts, but there are tons of free alternatives like Uptime Robot).

So Iā€™m notified from multiple sources whenever thereā€™s a problem, both via email and Pushover notifications on my phone. Then I can easily hit Linodeā€™s web UI or SSH into my hosts to fix them. I do work in IT so Iā€™m sitting at a computer, but even if I wasnā€™t I could do it from my phone given 15 minutes.

I donā€™t charge people $30/year to use my services, Thatā€™s the level of support I provide for free.

Edit: Very cool to see you here @Lon_Seidman! Iā€™m a fan.

2 Likes

My goodnessā€¦ most of you posting about the recent outage need to chill out, especially when weā€™re only paying a small annual subscription fee. As some have noted, the most recent problems arenā€™t typical. What that tells me is that the source of the problem might not be something our host can immediately - or perhaps even directly - fix. Think about itā€¦ how often has a software provider (gee, did I mean to say Microsoft)ā€¦ introduced changes that disrupted a whole chain of previously bullet-proof systems? Some of you have suggested alternatives. Thatā€™s greatā€¦ please go sign up for them! Others have complained about workflow disruptionā€¦ gee, maybe you should improve your adaptability, just in case any other disruption ruins your day.

4 Likes

This is a commercial service. A full day of downtime with no communication is simply not OK. The service needs to be reasonably supported.

1 Like

Just loaded up for me. If heā€™s going for a new server to use maybe itā€™ll all work out

2 Likes

Indeed, back up now. Plenty of time before my commute home!

Yes, itā€™s fixed now. Feeds will be updated soon.

Worst possible timing ā€“ server died precisely when I went asleep and I didnā€™t check emails in the morning before going to work, so it was down for as long as possible.

6 Likes